Q & A with Toy Story Dad and Family
I just wanted to write a little post so you could get to know us a better. Below are the questions we are most frequently asked.
Where did you and Rachel meet?
What do you do for a living?
– As much as I would love it, ToyStoryDad and this blog are not my full time gig… yet. I work full time for a global IT consulting company as a Senior Web Application Analyst. I also am the Backend Web Developer for Pick Your Plum. I am a bit of a workaholic so I am glad ToyStoryDad gives me the opportunity to feed my entrepreneurial fire while also spending time with my family. Rachel taught 4 years as a first grade teacher until Beckham was born and now has the greatest responsibility of staying home with Beckham. She has a passion for teaching and reading and it definitely shows with Beckham.
Where are you from?
– I was born in San Antonio, Texas. However, like Rachel, I have lived most of my life in Utah. I did serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints where I spent 2 years serving the people in Lima, Peru. It was an amazing experience and makes me so grateful to live where I do. Hablo Espanol! My family and I now live in a suburb just outside of Salt Lake City, Utah and we absolutely love it.
How old are you?
– Rachel and I are both 27 and share birthdays in August. Hamm also has an August birthday and will be celebrating his 2nd birthday this year. I seriously can’t believe how big he is.
Where does Hamm’s name come from?
– Beckham was actually named after one of Rachel’s students. His nickname Hamm came from his uncle Collin who decided that everyone would be calling him Beck (the first part of his name) so he would call him Ham (the last part of his name.) The nickname has since stuck and it works out perfectly since Hamm is also a Toy Story Character.
Do you want/plan on having more kids?
– YESSSS!!!! Definitely… I LOVE kids, seriously I was the top babysitter in the neighborhood because I just loved kids and kids loved me, most of the time. Now that I have my own little boy, both Rachel and I are seriously blown away just how AMAZING being a parent is. We will definitely be having many more kids when we feel the time is right.
How do you get such awesome photos with a little child?
– Patience and treats! It’s definitely a struggle to get pictures, especially once they start wanting to move around. So just be patient because sometimes they aren’t in the mood and you might have to try again at a later time. We probably look crazy with some of the things we do to get a smile, but treats usually work great.
How do you afford to go to Disneyland so often?
– Work, work, work. If you ask Rach or anyone that knows me they will tell you I am pretty much always working. Disney is a time where I can take a break and spend some quality time with my family doing something we all love. We are annual passholders to Disneyland and usually visit about 3 times a year. If you would like some tips on planning a Disneyland trip check out this blog post.
Disneyland or Disney World?
– Disneyland! They are honestly both amazing but Disneyland is the classic that Walt built.
Favorite Disney Ride?
Tucker: Avatar Flight of Passage
Hamm: Small World and Teacups
Favorite Disney Treat?
Tucker: Cookie Ice Cream Sundae
Rachel: Gingerbread Cookies and Macarons
Hamm: Tigger Tail and Cookie Num Num
Favorite Disney Movie?
Tucker: Toy Story … I know big surprise
Rachel: Grilled Cheese
Hamm: Everything even the salad from Club 33
Tucker: The Go Giver
Rachel: Harry Potter
Hamm: The Hungry Caterpillar
Favorite non-Disney movie?
Tucker: I Am Legend
Rachel: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
Hamm: Boss Baby
I have really enjoyed getting to know a lot of you on this journey. Thanks for following our journey. If there is anything else you would like to know about us, ask away in the comments below.